On his way to practice, Chris ran into his friend Travis who was also trying to work some magic with a pretty girl.
"Hey man, I just got a date with a hot blonde girl!"
Travis stopped talking to the girl to respond, "Wow cool. That never happens! You always stick with brunettes!"
"Yeah, I know! We're going horse-back riding." He makes a big chest and does the I'm awesome grunt before he says "Horses are like puppies, no girl can resist. How are you doin'?"
"So good, just talking with my friend Kathryn. How're you?"
"I'm fine; we just got this huge dog back back at our apartment," Chris said, pulling out his phone. "He's huge!" He opened up a picture to show them. After a bit more conversation, he gingerly walked off to practice.
When he'd finished practice Chris started talking with his friend, Brian, who invited him to go on a horse riding that night. He texted me and asked me to go riding that night and apologized for the short notice.
...a bit later...
As I sat on my couch and did homework, my roommate walked in the apartment. "Guess what I get to go do tonight!" I exclaimed.
"What?"
"I got asked out on a date to go horse-back-riding!"
"Oh fun!... Did this guy by any chance have a picture of a huge dog on his phone?"
"Umm.... yes he did..." I inquisitively replied.
"Oh wow! I had a guy come up to Travis and I and brag that he got some hot girl's number! He said he was going horse back riding and showed us a picture of his dog!"
"Oh! That is so funny! Did he say anything else?"
"Yeah. He said he got you to go on the date because 'Horses are like puppies; no girls can resist!'"
After a good laugh at the irony of the whole situation, a small scheme started to brew...
Later that evening, Chris picked me up in the "Blurp" (a car that looked blue when he bought it but turned out to be purple) with his friend Brian Weirich and an unnamed date. The ride down to Payson was quite entertaining. First of all, it is necessary to know that both Brian and Chris talked funny. On multiple occasions I remember stealing a laugh with the other date just listening to their conversations. Between the twang of a redneck coming from one and a drawn out southern drawl from the other, we couldn't keep our faces straight. They had us laughing up a storm.
When we got to the horses Chris and I walked out to catch a few. As we were walking I started expressing my appreciation for his invite to go riding. "I am so excited! I love horses! You know? I've always thought horses are kind of like puppies... I just can't resist!" I sounded like such giddy little girl as I exclaimed the statement with such enthusiasm. His timid laugh proved he was catching on. I later explained to him the whole situation and I must say, I think he was a bit embarrassed. Not such a smooth talker for once in his life!
All in all the date was just plain funny. Chris asked all the right questions and said all the right things. Once he got over the whole puppy incident, he was right back on his "A game" shmoozing me with his little accent and adorable straight teeth. By the time he had dropped me off, I leaned over to give him a hug (since he didn't walk me to the door) and he acted as if he was shocked and didn't want to hug me back. Playing a little hard to get, I guess. As I left the car, I remembered being surprised that my first impression was wrong. I actually enjoyed the date.... and he didn't even give me food! You know it must have been entertaining if that's the case!
You had to "catch" your horses? He had a lot of faith in your adventurous spirit!
ReplyDelete