3.5.12

From Horses to Horses... Part 1: how to get a first date

I'm Marci- I'm GeTtInG MaRrIeD?! Yes. It is true. For those of you who knew me in the past and doubted my ability to graduate the Uof(A)GM (University of [Almost] Guaranteed Marriage) single: you were right. I ALMOST DID IT though since I am graduating in December (!).

Anyways back to my love life: 
I, Marci Lucas (I know, I know) Nelson, am getting married to Christopher Aaron Reno on August 18, 2012 in the Spokane, Washington temple (for those of you who don't know what an LDS temple is or what they're for, click here). 

Now, inside your inquisitive little head you may be asking questions that sound something like how did this happen? Or maybe even when did this happen? Or, if you knew both of us well two years ago, probably what happened?! Lets start at the very beginning, a very good place to start (according to Julie Andrews, at least). It all started in September of 2010. I had just switched into my new major (Wildlife and Wildlands Conservation) and had many exciting things occur which can be reviewed by reading previous posts. I had added all new classes and could not wait to get into the swing of things. 

Now, before you read this, just remember that I am, in fact, a nice person. This account is a combination of how the story is told both by Chris and me so you ought to be getting a bit of both sides. 

It was probably the second or third day of school and I was standing with the rest of my Living with Plants class outside, examining a tree. My professor was commenting on the coloration of the leaves and I was scribbling away at my notebook, trying to record every spoken word. It wasn't until the clearing of a throat that I noticed someone standing next to me. I gave him a quick up-down and analyzed the situation. Shorts. Button-up shirt. And skater shoes. Big, puffy, red and white DC shoes. No way was I trying the skater again. Failed me once already. Anyways, he started talking to me and I am not going to lie, I was a bit.. cold, for a lack of a better word. 

"What's your name?"
          "Marci"
"Oh..." 
(awkward silence when I'm supposed to return the question)
"My name's Chris. What's your major?" he asked in attempt to understand why on earth a little barbie blond in stiletto heels was in the class.
          I answered with minimal words taking note of his funny accent, "Wildlife and Wildlands 
          Conservation" 
"Oh... (again, awkward waiting)... me too."
          "Oh well it's nice to meet you; I've gotta run to my next class."

Wow. Could I have been any more worse? It was the shoes, okay?? Little did I realize that for the next couple of days he attempted to sit by me in class by moving from the back row to the front row, making sure he had available seats on both sides allowing me a choice on which side of him I could choose to sit. Unfortunately his efforts went unnoticed. One day the club for our major came to class telling us about a opening social they'd be having. They asked who would be coming to get a head count. Given the knowledge that there would be free food at said meeting, anyone that knows me would logically assume my hand shot up. Well, it did. And after Chris saw that, his hand slowly went up, too.

Now, at this point in time, you have to give this guy some credit. He was either super persistent and knew what he wanted or just plain stupid for even trying to get close to such a snot like me. Anyway, he showed up to the Wildlife Activity to see me standing in line, stacking my plate with food. As we mingled with different people, he creepily kept his eye on me so I couldn't escape without being noticed. I started to walk off to yet another class when he caught up to me. At this point in time, I knew I should probably recognize him but couldn't quite recall the face. He asked how I was doing and I answered politely. He then proceeded to explain that he was going to be gone for the rest of the week because he was going up to Montana. He needed someone to take notes for him. As any kind person would do, I offered to take notes for him and then asked, "What classes do we have together?"
          After clearing his throat, he replied "All of them."

Yes. It was confirmed. I was utterly unaware of his existence and he knew it. Bummer. 
After quickly recuperating from the blow he asked "Do you like horses?"
          Not seeing the trap, I said yes. 
He backed me into a corner with "Good. I will take you to ride some horses down in Payson as payment for taking notes for me.

I could not have gotten out of that one if I tried because he set no date or time on the occasion and I hadn't practiced the boyfriend card enough to use it confidently. Of course, I can't honestly say I didn't want to go on a horse back ride either. We talked a bit more to get to know each other a bit more. When he found out I liked dogs, he showed me a picture of a giant dog at home named Camo. When I asked why he was going to Montana. I discovered he was an avid hunter. 
          "You probably think I'm awful now, huh?"
"Oh not at all," I lied as he got my number. As he turned around and walked away I hollered "If you see anything, don't shoot it!" He shook his head as he ran up the stairs on the way to practice. Well, at least she's pretty he thought in desperation, trying to remind himself why he had worked so hard to get my number. 

Alright, just so you know... the story gets less sad (obviously since it ends in marriage) and my actions are redeemed (at least, i'd like to think so). 

8 comments:

  1. I love hearing about this Marcereno....new nick name mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad his Marci-hunting paid off in the end. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute!!! You have to continue!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Marci! Im Cody's wife we met briefly at the hunting expo in February. I am so excited for you and Chris, he is one of the funniest people I have ever met so i'm sure yall keep eachother laughing. :) I loved your little story, that boy definitely knows what he wants haha... Good luck with everything. Take care! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Marci! It sounds like you are one lucky gal and I know he is one luck guy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love hearing your story again, so fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahahahahahahahahaha ooh poor Chris, he was trying so hard :) lucky man got you in the end!

    ReplyDelete